Skip to the content of the web site.



Frequently Asked Questions

What is Professional Development?

Professional Development at the University of Waterloo offers professional development training online, in-class or at your location. Our non-credit courses can give you the skills and knowledge you need to further your career and are offered conveniently throughout the year.

Back To Top

What are non-credit courses? How do they differ from Waterloo credit courses?

We offer non-credit courses for your professional development, they are not eligible to be used towards a university degree, but are an excellent addition to your resume. Created by experienced instructors, including University of Waterloo professors, these non-credit courses are structured for professional development, not academia. You will receive a certificate of completion, but no transcripts.

Back To Top

How do I register?

We offer four easy ways to register: online, by phone, by mail or in person.

Back To Top

Is there tax on the course fee?

Yes, in most cases there are taxes on courses. Please add the appopriate tax to the course fee if you are registering by fax, phone, mail or in person. If you register online, the appropriate tax will automatically be added to the fee, dependant upon where you live and the course you are registering for.

Back To Top

What discounts do I qualify for?

Our in-class courses offer an early bird discount. We also offer special discounts to University of Waterloo Alumni and senior citizens. Please view our Discounts page for details.

Back To Top

When do I receive a receipt?

Your official receipt will be emailed to you. If you register online it will be sent immediately. If you register with the invoice option, the invoice will be sent from the University's finance department after you attend the class. An enrolment confirmation email will be sent immediately.

Under the provisions of the Canadian Income Tax Act, course fees paid for professional development are not tax deductible except for the Certificate in Project Leadership.

Back To Top

What happens if I can't attend a course?

If you cannot attend a course, please email Professional Development as soon as you can. Depending on what course you've enroled in and when you withdraw, you may qualify for a full refund. Please review our Refund and Withdrawal Policy for more details.

Back To Top

Do I get a certificate for each course? How do they differ from your certificate programs?

Yes. You will receive a certificate of attendance for every course you successfully complete through Professional Development. Most of our in-class courses only require attendance, but our online Ed2Go courses require a grade of 65% or higher to pass. There are several courses where this differs, so please check the course listing pages for complete details.

We also offer several certificate programs in various topics, which you earn by completing the program requirements.

Back To Top

What if I have a food allergy / preference?

Please let us know at the time of registration if you have any special dietary needs including but not limited to vegetarianism, wheat and dairy allergies. We will do our best to accommodate your needs by providing a tasty alternative to our main dish.

Back To Top

Why is fragrance-free encouraged?

The University of Waterloo works very hard to create a comfortable learning environment for all of our students. Some people suffer a wide range of health effects such as rashes, severe headaches, nausea, dizziness, and fatigue, whenever they are exposed to very low levels of chemicals in scented products. Therefore, we strongly encourage our in-class students to limit their use of fragrance products for the comfort of everyone in the room.

Back To Top

What happens if the weather is bad?

If the University closes due to bad weather, or for other reasons, notice is posted on University of Waterloo's homepage, normally by 7:00 a.m., remaining in effect until 7:00 a.m. or later the next day.

The announcements may also be carried on CKGL (570 AM), CKKW (1090 AM), CHYM (96.7 FM) and KOOL-FM (105.3 FM).

For more information, please view University of Waterloo's Weather/Emergency Closing Guidelines. If the university closes we will need to reschedule our in-class course to another day that is amenable to the student and instructor schedules

Back To Top

What hotels are nearby?

Kitchener-Waterloo has many hotels for you to choose from. If you have a hotel preference, it is always best to reserve your room before coming into town.

Back To Top

Last updated by Webmaster on August 4, 2016